When using Production Resource Capabilities, the team of employees in charge of resource management and production can better understand how to best use the variety of talent and knowledge in the company. As you set up the production environment in Microsoft 09电竞官网 Finance and Supply Chain or Dynamics AX 2012, there is an order of operations to follow to ensure Resources are created and therefore maintained properly 1 . In this blog, we will dive deeper into this set-up and the CAPABILITY functionality in Microsoft D365 and AX 2012.
What is Resource Capability?
- The ability of an operations resource to perform a particular activity 2 .
Do you have the resource to perform the activity?
- Do you have the correct machine, tool, human, vendor, or location to get the job done?
How proficient is the resource?
- Does the resource have the right skill set?
- Will the resource complete the activity?
- Is there a course, certificate or title required to complete before performing the job?
Now to examine the setup order for Resources in Microsoft D365 F&O and AX 2012, so we can dive into Resource Capabilities. Remember to use best practices, and standard company nomenclature, to keep the records consistent and precise.
- Worktime template – The normal working times of the company. This can be further defined with efficiency and properties.
- Calendar – Configured to reflect the days in a year the company is open for work (holidays and weekends need to be considered) and the hours available to work on those days.
Resource Capabilities – A description of what a resource can do. A production operation can require specific capabilities. The scheduling engine can find the required capability as defined by the route created for the product. This can be further defined as follows:
- Capability : The ability of a resource to complete the work requested. Resources can have more than one capability and a single capability can be assigned to multiple resources. Capabilities can be date controlled as well. To set up capabilities, open: Organization administration > Resources > Resource capabilities .
- Skill : A Skill can be defined as the competency level of an employee. This is only available if using job scheduling. Skills are maintained in the Human Resources Module and linked to worker records. To set up skills, open: Human resources > Competencies > Setup > Skills .
- Course : A class required to complete the operation as it relates to production. Courses are also maintained in the Human Resources Module and linked at the worker record. This is only available if using job scheduling. To set up courses, open: Human resources > Courses > Setup > (multiple options) .
- Certificate : A certificate required to complete the operation as it relates to production. This is only available if using job scheduling. Certificates are maintained in the Human Resources Module and linked to worker records. To set up skills, open: Human resources > Competencies > Setup > Certificate Types .
- Title : A title can also be required to complete an operation for a product. This is only available if using job scheduling. Titles are maintained in the Human Resources Module and linked to worker records. To set up skills, open: Human resources > Setup > Titles .
- Resources – The machine, tool, human, vendor, or location to get the job done. During the scheduling process the resource capability’s priority and level are needed as well. If the resource has more than one capability, the priority level will determine which should be allocated first and the level allows the system to search for the best resource.
- Resource Group – A group of resources with the capabilities to get the job done.
REAL WORLD EXAMPLE: Did a machine gouge a part when the power went out at your manufacturing facility? I bet your facility has a backup plan to get that fixed before delivery to the customer is delayed! But can it be done? The Quality Management team has a plan in place for situations like this, and Microsoft D365 F&O can be setup with the resource capability to get the job done.
It is Thursday afternoon, and the weather has turned in to a brutal storm outside. All of a sudden, the power goes out and you hear a screeching sound coming from your CNC lathe as it comes to a halt.
“Oh no!” says Jose, the shop foreman. “That is supposed to ship tomorrow! We do not have material or time to start again and complete the part as requested from the customer.”
“Don’t fret yet!” Jesse, the quality inspector declares. “Let’s check our capabilities in D365.” Jesse and Ricardo, the Mfg. Engineer, verify this information by navigating to: Human Resources > Competencies > Reports > Certificate Expirations.
“Look, we have an employee certified with the ability to repair the 4140 part. All we need to do is check a couple of measurements to determine if the critical dimensions were affected. If those are good, then we can weld up that gouge area and still finish on time!”
Luckily, the critical dimensions of the part are all good, and Alex, in the weld shop, completed the course needed to correct the gouge. Ricardo was able to add a weld operation for the 4140-welding procedure, and a quality operation to double check the part! With Alex assigned as the resource of the production operation, the part will be completed and delivered to the customer on time!
By maintaining the capabilities, skills, courses, certificates, and titles of all the company Resource Capabilities in 09电竞官网 F&O (or AX 2012), the production team can work effectively and efficiently. Electronic records maintained within the system, allow for accurate on-the-fly changes to happen as quickly as possibly!
Check out more of the Ellipse Solutions blogs and courses that pertain to production:
Exploding Phantom BOMs | Time Registration Approval | Supply Chain Fundamentals (MB330 Exam Prep)
- 1 https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/modules/get-started-production-control-dyn365-supply-chain-mgmt/10-capacity-planning
- 2 https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/supply-chain/production-control/resource-capabilities